The Exeter University Jazz Orchestra is typified by its primary ensemble, the auditioned 25 piece Big Band. The ensemble has a vast an array of repertoire at its disposal, spanning from the jazz classics and standards of the Rat Pack, Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan, to the swing classics of Count Basie and Gordon Goodwin and even stretching to the contemporary charts of Snarky Puppy, Pat Metheny and Joshua Redman â€“ to name just a few!
The Big Band meets for weekly rehearsals on a Sunday Afternoon. The rehearsals themselves aim to provide a healthy balance between tackling complex charts and concepts, and socializing in an informal environment with the other peers in the band. The preparation during these rehearsals is vital, for it readies the band for what is often a busy term-time gigging schedule.
During term time, EUJO Big band plays regular gigs within the University, primarily for other Societies Balls and private events, as well as for a variety of other inter-university functions. Too EUJOâ€™s Big Band has played at a number of external private functions, such as weddings and important corporate functions.What we offer:
- A variety of repertoire across many genres
- Set lists which can be tailored to the clientâ€™s requests
- A full 25 piece big band, including:
- 2 vocalists - one male, one female
- Full Trumpet section
- Full Trombone section
- Full Sax section
- Piano, Guitar, Bass and Drums
- All of our own equipment complete with P.A.
- Comprehensive source of entertainment and professional attitudes